Rogue One beats Force Awakens in student poll

On Dec. 18, 2015, thousands of  old and new Star Wars fans walked into theaters around the world.

A year later on Dec. 16, 2016 the same crowd of people re-entered theater, excited for insight into the backstory of the original Star Wars movie, A New Hope, through Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Two hours and 13 minutes later, they too left the theaters and voiced their opinions to the world.

Rotten Tomatoes scored both movies extremely close with Force Awakens getting a 92 percent, and Rouge One receiving an 85 percent.

“I liked both of them, but I liked Rogue One more because it filled many of the plot holes of the original trilogy,” Nate Garner, senior, said.

Forty MCHS students took a survey on what they believed what the best out of the two new Star Wars movies were. Similar to Rotten Tomatoes, the two movies scored extremely close, with a margin of six votes.

Rogue One came out ahead with 23 out of 40 votes in its favor, while The Force Awakens pulled in the remaining 17 votes.

“It really got back to the idea of Star Wars being about war and the harsh reality of it,” Tony Cisneros, junior, said about Rogue One.   

Other students said they liked The Force Awakens better because it had better plot and character development when compared to Rogue One.

The majority of students who voted for Rogue One preferred it due to the extended fight scene at the end of the movie, as well as the appearances of Darth Vader scattered throughout the film.