Get ready: Homecoming Week comes early this year

Andreanna Haritopoulos

Posters promoting Homecoming Week appear throughout MCHS.

Have you found your dress? How about a date? Picture location? To add on to this mound of chaos Homecoming already brings, why not add just a little more?

Homecoming is coming slightly earlier this year than many had expected it to, but there’s no doubt this is what everyone has been looking forward to since school started back up. As for the big week’s schedule, MCHS has lots to look forward to — from dressing up everyday, to participating in the various events held each day.

“I’m really excited! The theme this year is unique and I’m excited to see my team get creative with it,” Faith Bonds, student council president said.

Beginning on Monday, Sept. 18, the day’s theme is Generation! Freshmen dress as babies, sophomores as teenagers, juniors as teachers, and seniors as elders.

The events taking place that day kick off with the introductory Homecoming pep-rally assembly, which will take place during the school day out on the football field. A few hours later the junior and senior girls will face off to see who the real champions are. Powderpuff will begin at 6:30 p.m.

Tuesday’s theme is Tacky Tourist day. New York T-shirts and Hawaiian shirts are the usual go-to, but try to go outside the box and show something different. As the day comes to an end there will be a Backyard Bash. This is a new event this year, and probably one of the most interesting. Starting at 6 p.m. there will be food trucks, inflatable obstacle courses, and human foosball. Shortly after is the Court Crowning.

“This is new for us, so it will be interesting to see how it goes,” Bonds said.

Wednesday the theme is Western. Although this theme may urge you to throw on a cowboy hat, dress code still applies. The same night there will be Band Night at Central Campus in the cafetorium, which will begin at 7 p.m.

Thursday find a friend and pick a matching outfit for Twin Day. Think outside the box so you and your twin stand out the most! Later that night at Central Campus we will have a Talent Show. The show will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Anything counts as a talent: singing, dancing, reading poetry of your own, anything unique about you that you’re willing to share be ready to take the stage.

Friday is the eve of Homecoming. The theme will be Spirit Day as you could expect. Dress in your best orange and black and show your school pride. Right after school is the annual parade, and there are several different floats for the clubs and sports teams. The first float is sent off at 4 p.m. The route goes into downtown Minooka and then loops back to Central Campus. Not long after, is the Homecoming football game. JV kicks off at 5:15 p.m and varsity kicks off at 7:30 p.m. The theme for this game is undecided as of press time.

Then finally the day everyone has been looking forward to: Saturday, Sept. 23, is the Homecoming dance. Festivities truly begin bright and early getting ready for the night; however, the dance starts at 6 p.m. and ends at 10 p.m. This year’s theme is A Night at the Beach!