New editors, more online coverage for newspaper staff

Seniors Cassady Cundari and Andreanna Haritopoulos are the new editors-in-chief of the Peace Pipe Chatter.

Every school year, the Peace Pipe Chatter adviser selects up to four students to be editors-in-chiefs.

Being an editor-in-chief takes responsibility, dedication, and commitment.  This year’s have all these qualities and more.

Senior Andreanna Haritopoulos has been on the school paper since sophomore year. Last year, Haritopoulos qualified for the Journalism State Finals and placed fourth in features writing.

She hopes to teach the other members about self-sufficiency and completing tasks on time.

“The most important thing to teach is working collaboratively, self-sufficiently, and completing your tasks on time,” Haritopoulos said.

Figuring out your path in life can be difficult. Haritopoulos on the other hand, knows her calling is journalism.

“I hope to major in journalism and maybe attend the University of Missouri,” Haritopoulos said.

Being part of any team gives you the chance to make new friends and create a close bond.

“My favorite thing about being part of this team is being in this tight-knit group of student reporters,” Haritopoulos said. “I also enjoy when I interview someone for a story I am working on and they go above and beyond with their responses.”

Alongside of Haritopoulos this year is senior Cassady Cundari.

This year, Cundari hopes to offer active and involved leadership on behalf of the staff and more.

“My goal is to preserve the journalistic integrity of our staff and to keep our school population informed,” Cundari said.

“Our team size is much smaller this year so we need to place more of an emphasis on quality over quantity.”

Over the course of her journalism career, Cundari won a state title in editorial writing during sophomore year, and qualified for state a second time last year.

After high school, Cundari is looking to double major in political science and journalism.

This year, the PPC will produce three print issues first semester, and it will vastly increase its online presence. More stories will be posted on nooknews21.com and through Instagram @minooka_student_news and Twitter @peacepipechattr and @PPCSportsMCHS.

Two new Sports Media classes will also add to coverage of athletics throughout the year.