Children’s Theater performs ‘Bedtime Stories’

Andreanna Haritopoulos

Ashley (Emily Maruszak, senior), Katie (Grace Preboy, junior), Dad (McGwire Holman, senior), and Wally (Dominic Alberico, junior) watch the final tale of the show taking place on the opposite side of the stage. Children’s Theater performs at Central Campus on Feb. 5 at 7 p.m.

What kind of bedtime stories do you remember your parents telling you when you were young? Did they pick up a copy of Goodnight Moon, or did they make up their own tall tale?

In the world of MCHS theater, the latter seems to reign supreme.

“There will be lots of laughs and some good bedtime stories for anyone who comes to the show!” Marlee Anderson, freshman playing a princess and a sheep, said.

This year’s Children’s Theater production will dive deep into three classic fairy tale stories with a few twists fit for the family on stage.

Bedtime Stories (As Told By Our Dad) (Who Messed Them Wrong) will take the stage on Tuesday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. in the Central Campus PAC for the public and again the following day for two daytime performances for local grade schools.

Bedtime Stories introduces the audience to a family with a sick mom who went to bed early and left her husband to put their three kids to bed. The kids beg their dad to follow the same routine as their mom, which means telling three original stories: one about a princess, one about a dinosaur, and one with a spin on Rumplestiltskin.

“I love the fact that I get the chance to act young because I’ve never had the opportunity before in our theater program,” Emily Maruszak, senior playing Ashley, said.

The audience will go on a journey with a couple of interruptions and hear familiar stories told in a whole new fashion.

“This show is a little different than the fairy tales we’ve done in the past two years, so I thought it was a good choice,” Ms. Jackie Weiss, director, said.

Weiss is excited to bring this hilarious and relevant show to people all around the community.

“It is a really fun and goofy show that not only appeals to children, but to anyone who comes to see it,” Ian Talley, freshman playing Wilbur, said.

Admission is a minimum $1 donation per person that will be donated to granted to a graduating senior this April. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. on the evening on the performance for the public.

“I really enjoy seeing the joy come across kid’s faces when they come see the show,” Ashley Dorman, junior playing another princess, said.