Students balance jobs with remote learning

Maddie Johnson

Ashley Soto works at The Timbers Of Shorewood. She finds balancing school and work something you just need to get used to. “I try to get as much as I can done before I go into work, but it can be a lot, especially during a time like this,” she said.

Students of MCHS have a seven-hour school day, then many begin their shift at a part-time job. Students adjusting to seeing their teachers and classmates over a computer have a difficult time adjusting to the process. Then they ending their day with a shift at work.

How do students balance school and work? 

Kaylynn Coronado, a 17 year-old junior, works at Burger King from four to five hours a day. 

Coronado tries to be home no later than 9 to have time to do school work and have her full night’s rest. Her job allows them to bring school supplies and computers to work if they need to finish off school work. 

Coronado wants to get her school work done before starting her shift to have it finish and be able to focus primarily on her job. She has been working since students were still attending in-person schooling, and she doesn’t believe it is anymore difficult balancing both. 

“It is something to get used to because I was so used to going to school,” Coronado said. 

Aiden Juarez, a 16 year-old junior, works at McDonald’s as a drive-thru window cashier. He works five hours a day four days a week. 

He finds doing online school and then attending his job is much easier than going to school in person. Not having to take a bus home or be at school after the last period bell rang gave Jaurez a lot more time to do things he wanted before going to work at 4 p.m.

“I only have three classes a day so I’m done with school by noon,” Juarez said.

While some students attending MCHS find it not-so-complicated working and attending online school, others find it a bit more challenging. 

Michael Burman, a 17 year-old junior, works at Advantage Components. He puts wire assemblies together — crimping, cutting, soldering, stripping wires and taking things apart. 

Burman works about three to four hours for five to six days a week, working up to 10 to 15 hours a week. He finds it difficult to balance school and work. 

“My teachers assign homework, and I can’t always do it right after,” Burman said. 

Burman also attends GAVC. He tries to finish his work at where his GAVC is held, but it takes him about 45 minutes to get there.

He leaves his second hour early to make it to GAVC on time, leaving no time to even finish his in class work.

“Then after work I finish any school work that I can and by then it’s the end of the day,” Burman said.