Students experience French culture in FNHS

I joined FNHS because I wanted to be able to enhance my French experience while also interacting with other French students,” senior Emily Loden said.

FNHS is made up of juniors and seniors who have taken French for at least three semesters, achieved an A in an honors-level course, and are committed to the study of the French language. 

While French is not one of the most common languages spoken in the U.S., there are still many reasons why students at MCHS should study French, according to French students and Madame Andrea Olszta, the French teacher and sponsor of FNHS. 

“French is a global language: French is the second most studied language in the world after English, and the fifth most spoken language in the world,” Madame Olstza said. “French is a cultural language: art, cooking, fashion, dance, theater, all have strong French roots.”

Madame Olstza also said the language can also help you with your English, as 30% of English words originate from French ones. 

The French culture is rich with many attributes such as cuisine, films, and more. In this club, members learn about this culture directly through activities. 

“My favorite part about FNHS is interacting with other members and doing activities with them,” Loden said. 

The pandemic has halted or altered some of the activities FNHS has done in the past, like participating in Homecoming activities, Relay For Life, and taking a trip to a French restaurant; however, FNHS is still hosting many different and exciting virtual activities. 

A recent activity of FNHS was baking a common French pastry, pain au chocolat. Members met on an online Google meet to follow the instructions of Madame Olstza to bake this delicious treat together. 

Another common event the club hosts is a monthly movie night, where members and prospective members watch a French film. Among the films are a variety of genres, but a recent film they watched was called Le Diner de Cons (1998), which is the film Dinner for Schmucks (2010) was based off of — a perfect example of how much Americans base their art of French culture.

Members also make videos reading French books for younger grades and have many plans to partake in service projects around the community, virtually, despite the restrictions they have faced during the pandemic. 

“If you’re a French student considering joining FNHS, please join! It’s a great place to take part in both cultural French activities and find friends that also have similar interests as you,” Loden said.