Making magic in this year’s fall play

Mark Meszaros

Student practice for the fall play, “Puffs.”

When you think of spells, books, and witchcraft you probably think of the Harry Potter book series.

This year’s fall play is Puffs by Matt Cox, and has some similarities to Harry Potter. It is about a boy named Wayne Hopkins who finds out he is a wizard and is sent to school in England where he makes two best friends and has adventures. Although, Wayne is sorted as a puff. He and the other puffs want to learn to become wizards so they can avoid attacks from evil wizards.

Auditions for the play were on Aug. 31 and rehearsals began in early September. Rehearsals are from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Some of the cast members include Emma Pettigrew, Alex Foster, Allie Bishop, Elias Bittermann, and Amelia Craig.  Some crew members are Maisy Kaplan, Stella Donley, Morgan Maser, and Sophia Reda.

“I tried out for the fall play because it’s a good experience and the people in it make me happy. It’s just fun,” Emma Pettigrew, junior, said.

Another student in the fall play is freshman Addison Keko, this is her first play on stage.

“I’ve always been interested in drama, theater, and acting. It’s just always been a part of my life,” Keko said. “This is my first play on stage. Last year I was on the lights and sound crew for the 8th-grade play.”

Keko also said she likes the experience and how welcoming the people are.

The play is directed by Ms. Christina Duris who works as an elementary school teacher in the Channahon school district. She has been running the fall play for several years.

“I was in Minooka shows when I went to high school here. Obviously, theater was an important part of my life.” Duris said. “I then went to college for acting and got my bachelor’s degree at Illinois State University. The fall play position opened up and I was very interested in it so I was interviewed and I got it.”

Duris said this is what she likes most about directing the fall play.

“I think that theater is so important because it creates a family and so to be a part of that family year after year with such wonderful students is what I like best,” Duris said.

The first-day showing of Puffs will occur on Thursday, Oct. 27, it will begin at 7 p.m in the Performing Arts Center (PAC) at Central Campus. The second showing will occur on Friday, Oct. 28. Tickets can be bought at gofan.co or the GoFan mobile app.