40 years ago: Homecoming 1978

Students+ride+a+float+in+the+1978+Minooka+Homecoming+Parade.+

M-Di-An yearbook, 1978-79

Students ride a float in the 1978 Minooka Homecoming Parade.

Students had come together, excitement filled the halls, and school spirit was better than ever. This was Homecoming Week at Minooka in 1978.

The theme for the 1978 Homecoming was “The Movies,” according to the MCHS 1979 yearbook.

The start of this highly favored week was on Tuesday, Oct. 9. The first event on Tuesday was Tag Day, followed Wednesday’s Jersey Day, Thursday’s Hat Day, and Friday’s Orange and Black Day.

Students enjoyed taking time to raise money, wearing a jersey of their choice, getting wild with a funky hat, and displaying their school pride by showing off their colors.

During the week, students had organized a community bonfire where the students participated in a snake dance.

At Homecoming parade, cheerleaders and bands performed. Floats were decorated by all four classes and other clubs.

The Homecoming King and Queen, Mike Mitchell and Jean Hoyland, were featured in the parade with the rest of the Homecoming Court, according to the MCHS yearbook of 1979.

In 1978, there is no record of Minooka hosting a powderpuff football game, but boys football games started on Saturdays at noon then. 

That year, the Minooka varsity football team suffered an upsetting Homecoming loss, 14-8, as they played a hard-fought battle against Westmont.