Successful Morris swim team made up of Minooka athletes

Minooka+senior+Steph+Melendez+starts+the+50-meter+fly+at+a+meet+in+September+against+Dekalb.+Melendez+is+one+of+several+Minooka+athletes+who+compete+with+the+name+Morris+on+their+suits.+

Leah Barys

Minooka senior Steph Melendez starts the 50-meter fly at a meet in September against Dekalb. Melendez is one of several Minooka athletes who compete with the name “Morris” on their suits.

Does Minooka even really have a swimming and diving team?

The answer to that is complicated because Minooka co-ops with Morris High School, which means both schools come together to make one team.

“I don’t like this because there are only a handful of Morris people on the team,” Ava Adams, sophomore, said.

On the team swimsuits the girls wear to meets, it says “Morris” — not “Morris Co-op.”  The team swims at the Morris pool. 

“I don’t like being called Morris because Minooka makes up most of the team, and it’s not fair because everything we get has Morris on it,” Katie Graebner, sophomore, said.

Minooka helps increase the number of people on the team.

“I think it has been a very good thing for us, not just terms as a team but to have more kids in swimming,” Andrew Porth, head swim coach, said.

The swimming and diving team practices 5 days a week from 3:15-5 p.m. These girls put in many hours a week, but are frustrated by lack of recognition.

“It’s not fair to us because we work just as hard as any other sport,” Nivian Salcedo, sophomore, said.

Minooka not having a pool makes things tougher.

“We have made a lot of process with recognition, but being a sport that is not on site, I do see how there are challenges. But it does get its equal share of notice,” Porth said.

The swim teams season started in the beginning of August. As of Oct. 17, they are 8-2.

“Our season has been going very well,” Nia Yost, sophomore, said.

Coach Porth agreed.

“We swam very well at the IMSA invite and also at Sterling, which is a pool where our times aren’t normally as good, but we pulled through very well,” he said.

The swimming and diving team competes in their conference meet this Saturday, Oct. 27.