The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Indoor percussion wins WGI regional

Minookas+indoor+percussion+won+the+WGI+Chicago+regional+in+February.+
Minooka’s indoor percussion won the WGI Chicago regional in February.

Indoor percussion showcases marching percussion lines performing isolated events aside from the main marching band /drum corps ensembles, according to The Drumline Network. 

“Indoor competes at a much higher level in my opinion, which lets all of us get better a lot faster and you get to learn cool percussion instruments,” Evan Kiper, junior, said.

Minooka has had its own indoor percussion for years, and they’ve been WGI finalists in the years of 2016, 2017, 2018.  They won the WGI Chicago Regional in February. Their group placed first in prelims with a 77.3 and first in finals with a 78.45.

“Indoor has been going on an upwards slope for us. My freshman year was alright, and last year got a lot better making the semi finals out of around 46 groups,” Nyah McCallum, junior, said. “This year, we are aiming for finals! Not to place, but to make it. That’s next year’s goal.”

Indoor percussion accepts everyone, whether you are in a band or not. The goal is to learn an instrument and take up on something fun. 

“People should join indoor if they are looking for the next hobby they want to take up. It’s a great opportunity for them to join, learn and compete with others,” McCallum said. “We have people that are not percussionists, and another that isn’t even in a band, yet both are doing well.”

“Our show this year is entitled ‘Follow the Signs’,” Kiper said.