The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Girls record numerous personal bests at Prospect meet

Savanna Kopstain
Clearing her first set of hurdles, junior Nicole McLaughlin aims for a better time in the 100-meter high hurdles at Prospect Relays on April 5. She set a new personal record of 18.23 seconds.

Personal records are a core value in track and field. Many athletes consider these to pursue a career in their respective events. On April 5, the girl’s track and field team traveled to Prospect High School to compete in the Prospect Relays. The team went to place third out of nine teams with 145 points.

Senior Emily Jimmerson jumped 1.37m in high jump, senior Laila Foster vaulted 2.14m in pole vault, and junior Nicole McLaughlin ran 18.23 in the 100 high hurdles. All of these ladies set their personal records in their respective events.

Thirteen girls PR’d at Prospect, and from a coach’s perspective having that many athletes achieving new times are outstanding for themselves and the team.

These PR’s are a sign that this is a group of girls that has done a tremendous amount of work to be ready to go for this season,” head coach Kevin Gummerson said. “ However, our goal is to be at our best at the end of May, and there is no doubt these girls will continue to work towards that.”

Breaking personal records means a lot to any athlete from freshmen to seniors. These athletes strive to do better and improve within the many seasons they compete in. With so, they have to get into the right mindset and prepare for the meet ahead.

“Going to the meet with a positive attitude is key,” Jimmerson said. “Don’t let the negative thoughts get to you, and of course compete to the best of your ability and have fun.” 

After competing, many thoughts can be running through an athlete’s head. They can be positive to acknowledge the good and can be negative to leave room for improvement.

“Probably just go as fast I can, there’s not that much going through my head cause a lot is going on. Just blank out and run,” McLaughlin said.

Track and field is a constantly growing sport and many want to succeed for better times and heights. Athletes want to seek better records and they have to know how to achieve that.

“I would just say constantly trying to push myself throughout the practice and meets regardless of how I am feeling that day,” Foster said.

With more meets on the way, there is time for development and working on these personal records to be the season’s best. These athletes will keep growing as the season goes on with better times and records for Minooka.

Minooka won four events at Prospect.  Zoe Moxley, Lauren Manning, Natilee Carlos, and Lizzie Egwunwoke made up the winning 4×200-meter relay. Kimmy Rodely, Faith Hayes, Kaylee Brushaber, and Riley Warren were in the triple jump relay. NyAilah Yarbrough, Shola Jegede, Laila Richardson, and Peyton Kueltzo were in the shot put relay.  And Caprice Rodely, Manning, Moxley, and Natalie Nahs were in the 4×400-meter relay.