The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Big 7th inning hit leads Minooka baseball past Plainfield South

Junior+Mario+Jimenez+prepares+to+bat+against+Plainfield+South+in+the+7th+inning.++His+hit+would+push+a+run+across+and+give+Minooka+the+win.+
Brandon Ritsos
Junior Mario Jimenez prepares to bat against Plainfield South in the 7th inning. His hit would push a run across and give Minooka the win.

It was a close game through all innings as the Indians varsity baseball team took on Plainfield South at home in a Southwest Prairie matchup on April 9.

Minooka hung on and came back with the win with a walk-off hit from junior Mario Jimenez.

Minooka was down 5-0 to South. The Cougars had a big inning, putting up 5 in the top of the third.

The Indians eventually tied it in the sixth with Nate George getting a clutch RBI and scoring Jason Duy from third. He started the inning with a walk.

The Indians answered as George, Kevin Bisbee, Isaac Goddard, and Carter Lennington all ended up scoring in the bottom of the third making it 5-4.

Noah Munson started the inning off with a double and later advanced to third and scored with a ground ball from George. This rallied the boys for the game.

Collin Hickey kept the Indians in the game pitching two scoreless innings.

Then came the final inning. 

“I know what Mario is capable of and that’s why I put him in this situation to succeed,” said head coach Jeff Petrovic.

Jimenez had the biggest hit of the game getting the Indians the win. He pinch hit a line drive to score Brady Kozlowski for the winning run.

“Coming off the bench on short notice is hard, and I was up to bat and just wanted to put the ball in play and that’s what I did,” said junior Mario Jimenez.

Junior Isaac Goddard was anxiously anticipating the final minutes of the game.

“We were kinda nervous. We didn’t end up playing as well as we wanted to and we were just hoping for Mario to put it in play,” said Goddard.