Sophomore basketball 25 years later

The+uniforms+arent+the+only+things+that+have+changed+in+sophomore+basketball+in+the+last+25+years.+Above+is+the+2018+team%3B+below+is+the+1993+team.+

The uniforms aren’t the only things that have changed in sophomore basketball in the last 25 years. Above is the 2018 team; below is the 1993 team.

Twenty-five years ago, things were a bit different in the world of sophomore basketball at Minooka. Back then they had different play styles, different uniforms, and a whole different conference.

First off, 25 years ago the jerseys were more mesh and holey kind of jerseys, like the pennies now. Also they had the jerseys made by Champion, but now the sophomore jerseys are made by Wilson. They also wore short shorts with high socks but now they are long-length shorts that go to the knees.

The conference Minooka competed in was called the Little 7, which included teams like Morris, Geneva, and Batavia. Today, Minooka is in the Southwest Prairie Conference, which includes schools from Oswego, Plainfield, Joliet, and Romeoville. 

Lastly, the play style was different. It was much more of a slower type of game. Now, everyone wants to rush it.

Also when you were defending someone, you couldn’t go out of bounds to try and defend someone. You couldn’t step on the line at all.

Players also used to line up for free throws under the bottom part of the key, and now that spot is vacated.

Rob Torchia was a sophomore boys coach in 1993; today he is a varsity assistant coach.