Arrowettes win SPC title

Gracie Brady

The Arrowettes perform at the SPC Championship competition on Jan. 10 at MCHS South Campus.

The Minooka varsity dance team is on a roll.

At the beginning of the semester at the Huntley Invitational, the Arrowettes took first. On Thursday, Jan. 10, they won the Southwest Prairie Conference competition held at MCHS South Campus.  

Before getting on the floor, the dancers were feeling motivated. They wanted to prove to everyone in the gym that they were the best. One of the team’s goals was to look cleaner and improve from the Huntley Invitational.

After their performance, the team was proud and felt that they had met their goals. The worst feeling was the time in between their performance and the awards when the anxiety was starting to kick in for most.

Dancer Nina Romac said, “We knew we had a pretty good chance. …  After we performed, it felt really good.”

The dancers ran out to the middle of the gym and formed a circle around the Minooka Indian’s logo. They held each other’s hand tightly as they hoped and prayed that their hard work had paid off.

“I am never nervous before or during our performances,” head coach Melissa Wallace said. “The nerves always hit me after we dance.”

As the results came in, the tension continued to build.

“And in third place … Plainfield North!” said the announcer.

All Minooka girls clapped quietly, happy that North got 3rd, but happy they had a chance at first.

“Coming in second … Oswego!” said the announcer.

The Oswego performers went berserk. Minooka’s dancers remained calm, knowing that first place was in sight.

“And you’re conference champs of the SPC is . . . Minooka Indians!”

All the girls threw their hands in the air in celebration, some jumped in the air, others hugged each other in happiness.

Athlete of the Week, Riley Marco said, “The team is proud of our performance tonight, and we are ready to get back to practice for sectionals and state.”

The Arrowettes compete at the IHSA 3A Sectional at Normal West on Saturday, Jan. 19.