School moves back to remote learning

Classrooms+will+empty+again+as+MCHS+returns+to+remote+learning.+

Classrooms will empty again as MCHS returns to remote learning.

About a month and a half has passed since students once again filled the halls and classrooms of MCHS for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the District #111 Board of Education meeting held on Nov. 18 brought a change to this decision. 

The Board of Education meeting was held like many have throughout this pandemic, virtually over Zoom. The public were able to freely attend and speak during the time for public comments. 

Three students — senior Lydia Hong senior Jacob Pursell and junior Evelyn Maruszak — spoke during the time for public comments. They all focused their comments on the safety of students and staff during this time of exponential growth in cases, especially in the state of Illinois, which just reported almost 9,000 cases Wednesday. 

Maruszak backed up her concerns with the current positivity rate of infection in Grundy County, as of now 23.7%, and that the availability of ICU beds in Grundy County is nearing 100% max capacity. 

All three students urged the Board of Education to end hybrid learning and transition back to remote learning for the safety and well-being of the students and staff of MCHS.

Following public comments, MCHS Superintendent, Dr. Kenny Lee, proposed a change to the school board’s “Return To Learn Plan” that included the transition back into remote instruction, effective until Jan. 18, 2021. This plan would keep the same hybrid schedule, just now solely based in a remote setting. 

The board voted and approved the changes to the “Return To Learn Plan” as recommended by Lee to return to remote instruction until Jan. 18.  Remote learning will begin after Thanksgiving break.