Remote learning to continue until January

Classrooms+will+empty+again+as+MCHS+returns+to+remote+learning.+

Classrooms will empty again as MCHS returns to remote learning.

On Nov. 18,  Dr. Kenny Lee, MCHS superintendent, proposed to the administration and board members that MCHS should return to a fully remote schedule until Jan. 19. This was suggested due to the rise of COVID-19 cases and staff issues.

Students and staff will be continuing to follow the bell schedule used during hybrid learning; however, they will continue it completely online and from home. 

MCHS has been following a hybrid schedule since October, when half the students went to school for two days of the week and the rest was online. Without in-person learning, students are expected to attend their online classes and complete assignments daily. This change in scheduling will affect students and staff trying to get through this difficult year. 

¨Ultimately I feel that in-person education is what is best for students, but in today’s world we have to take what we are given and do what we can to make it the best scenario possible,¨ said Ms. Molly Gerke, an English substitute teacher at MCHS. 

Learning in person can be beneficial for some students and some would even argue that it is essential. As much as it is wanted and thought out, in-person learning has challenges during a pandemic. 

¨With schools reopening, the cases have been rising, bringing us back stages,” Anastasia Pistorius, sophomore, said.  “I feel as though if we stick with the remote learning schedule, until they find a vaccine, we will be able to reopen everything a lot sooner.¨ 

As disappointing as it is for some that MCHS is back to online learning, many of the students and staff feel it is the safest option for the school. Of course, along with these changes there will be hardships and challenges to endeavour. 

¨Of course, there will always be unforeseen struggles with students being all remote.  I know that at times there are internet and computer issues that come into play.  I also worry about student burnout by constantly being on computers to learn,” said Ms. Amy Lyons, physical education.

Students and teachers have been struggling with these new experiences and school being online. Teachers are trying to connect with their students and try to navigate teaching through a screen. Students are struggling with motivation and this more independent way of learning. Despite these challenges, MCHS is going fully remote until Jan. 19 for the safety of all students and staff. 

¨I think it’s the best plan possible to be remote until January, I’m not exactly excited about it, but it’s what we need to do to be safe. I think we will struggle with mental health but staying home will be a safer option,¨ said Hannah Wilson, sophomore.