The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Adult Living class prepares students for next phase of life

Junior+Emma+Robson+takes+Adult+Living+class+with+Ms.+Dani+Ward.+
Angelina Padgham
Junior Emma Robson takes Adult Living class with Ms. Dani Ward.

There are many classes to choose from at MCHS but there are some that are unheard of – one of those being the Adult Living class. 

The class is run by Ms. Dani Ward, a teacher in the CTE department. She teaches Adult Living and Child Development.

“You should expect to learn socially and emotionally how to be an adult, including friendships, getting a job and living on your own,” Ward said.

In the Adult Living class there are many different units and many different projects/assignments.

“We do a lot when it comes to career exploration, maintaining friendships, and team building,” Ward said. 

The class does multiple things that help dive into the topics more to help the students truly understand how to prepare themselves for their future.

Ward explains that “you learn what life will be like after MCHS, whatever that means to you.”

The class isn’t set up to push you towards one specific thing, but it does push you into figuring out what you truly want to do once you graduate from MCHS. The assignments done during this unit explain how to reach that goal.

Due to the amount of units in the class there are some parts that help students out more than others for example the main answers received were all about finances and how helpful the class has been with that aspect.

“When the Grundy County Bank people came in to talk to us, they taught us about finances,” senior Kyla Shaw said. 

This was Shaw’s most helpful thing she learned in the Adult Living class. The Grundy County Bank came into the class and talked about credit, how credit scores work, and what you do to affect that credit score.

Senior Maddie Wietting said her favorite part was the budgeting and personality value goals.

Adult Living even has a welcoming environment to the point.

“The friends I made in this class but besides that some of the things that we do are intriguing to me, they are helpful when deciding what I want to do when I graduate,” Shaw said. 

Angelina Padgham is student in Adult Living.