The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Seniors enjoy flexibility with scheduling

Camryn Nelson
Senior Kamryn Haake washes dishes in her Intro to Culinary Arts class. Seniors can take this class if they have been taking other culinary classes, including Nutrition and Foods 2.

Senior year students are able to have flex schedules, more options for classes, and more opportunities for activities. But what is it like as a senior at MCHS?

There are many things that seniors enjoy about their last year. Multiple students have many different reasons on why they like to be a senior whether that be having less classes or just the opportunity to really enjoy their last and final year in high school in general. 

“My favorite thing about being a senior at MCHS is how involved you are with everything and how involved the teachers are with you and how teachers try to make your last year your best year,” senior Kori Talley said. 

That’s just one of the many reasons why seniors enjoy MCHS. 

Senior Annika VenDerMale enjoys being able to have a flex schedule her senior year. 

“What I like about being a senior is my flex schedule, so I come in 3rd hour on B-days and I leave on 3rd hour on A-days and I just like being able to almost get a taste of college,” she said.

As a senior at MCHS, students get the chance to have a flex schedule depending on what classes you choose and if you have enough credits. 

Senior Ricky Churnovic enjoys being able to take “nothing” classes, meaning not very busy or hard classes since he got all the credits needed already. 

Most seniors don’t need any extra classes to fill in those gaps giving the seniors the opportunity to have a more relaxed last year either that being they leave early from school or they get to come in later. 

“My favorite thing about being a senior at MCHS is getting to leave school earlier because it gives me time to get ready for work,” senior Layla Wenckowski said. 

Senior Brianna Saarehelt enjoys more of the opportunities granted to seniors. 

“I like being a senior because of the opportunities I have at MCHS with all the events,” she said. “One thing that I don’t like is that it came very early and came as a surprise, but I like that in less than a year I have a chance to be more independent with going to college and I have a chance to live my life bigger.”