The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Library offers stress-free environment for students

Students+work+on+a+puzzle+in+the+Central+Campus+library+during+2B+on+Dec.+7.+
Angelena Jodison
Students work on a puzzle in the Central Campus library during 2B on Dec. 7.

Senior Jenna Jones works on her homework in the library during her lunch period. She talks to her friends who are in the library for their resource period while she is there for lunch. The library is a calm place that she enjoys going to. 

The libraries at the Central and South campuses provide opportunities to make school more fun and sometimes even relaxing. 

The libraries are open to students during their resource period and lunch if they get signed up. Sometimes entire classes will go to the library to work on projects, or be able to do classwork in a different environment. The library is also stocked with a variety of books students can use for research for school, or they can find books to read in their free time. Students find the library as a welcoming place, and a better place to do schoolwork as opposed to a classroom.

“There’s not many places during school in which you could have a lot of like a high school experience; the library is a good place to have that experience with your friends,” Mr. Kyle Robinson, a library aide at South Campus, said. 

The library is a perfect place to take a break from classes where you have to be fully attentive.

“Students just like to have a different space which is outside of the classroom to come and socialize with friends or catch up on homework,” Robinson said.

The library has space to fit a lot of students, and there are comfortable chairs, games, coloring, and so many more activities.

“We have a bunch of coloring stuff and a lot of people, especially when they’re stressed, will color something and that helps a lot,” Ms. Sarah Lemke, a library aide at Central Campus, said. 

Many students who might need to get their mind off of something, or students who have no more homework to do like to color in the library with their friends. The library offers coloring sheets, markers, crayons, colored pencils, and a large variety of supplies that can be used for fun or for school projects. 

“There are so many resources in the library and so many fun things to do,” senior Jenna Jones said.

Not only are there endless activities, the library also provides resources for classes. Some examples are a printer is in the library, the library website has all of our school’s databases, and the library has bigger tables where students can work on a project that requires a poster board. 

“We are lucky students have access to printing in color in the library,” Jones said. “I also enjoy drawing in the library and I like to spend extra time with friends,” Jones added. 

Jones has been going to the library during her resources since her sophomore year, and recently she started going to the library during her lunch period. 

Lemke says the library is a safe space for all students. “We always try for chill vibes and we accept everybody and we just want to make everyone feel welcome,” Robinson said.