The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Students can benefit from resource period

Savanna Kopstain
Students work in a resource at Central Campus during 2B on Dec. 7.

When it comes to one’s resource, the class period of the day is either needed or unnecessary.  

Many people in their freshman year take a resource because they are told they will not have the time to do their homework in high school.  This is true for freshman Peyton Stukel. 

“For the first half of my resource I do homework, and the second half I go to math lab,” she said.  

Stukel is in a sport for all three seasons, including, golf, basketball, and track.  Many people in sports and after school activities need the time more than those who go home after school because of late night practices or games.  

For others it’s not as useful. Freshman Jordan King said he normally watches TV on his phone.  He is also in basketball and has no missing assignments.  

Many people are similar to him and uses study hall to scroll on their phone, even if there is homework to be done. 

Another freshman does both. 

“I go on my phone for half of it and study the rest,” Gyllian Sweeney said.  

She participated in the fall play and is currently in the junior varsity Madrigals. 

Whether the resource is used for homework or social time, each student interviewed felt they still need a resource throughout the year.

Resource can help busy students catch up on homework and study for exams during the school day, so they can prevent having to do more at home.  It is only a good use of time if one actually utilizes it for its real purpose.