The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Boys basketball takes down Oswego

Wes+Owens+puts+up+a+shot+in+Minookas+win+over+Oswego+on+Dec.+8.+
Brandon Ritsos
Wes Owens puts up a shot in Minooka’s win over Oswego on Dec. 8.

The Minooka boys varsity basketball team beat Oswego in a conference game 59-30. 

On Dec. 8, Minooka faced off at home against Oswego who had an overall record of 0-8 coming into the game.  The Indians was able to put on an outstanding performance against Oswego thanks to the hands of junior guard DJ Hampton who led the Indians with a stat line of 17 points and 9 rebounds.

“My teammates were able to set me up for a lot of shot attempts, and I was able to make them,” Hampton said.

Minooka’s head coach was happy and thrilled about the team’s performance against Oswego 

“We were able to get this win because we were able to execute our plan perfectly,” head coach Brett Hespell said. 

The game started off close in the first quarter with a score of 8-7, but after the second quarter the Indians were able to go on a huge run to put the lead to 25-15 by half.

After half time the Indians held the Panthers to only score 3 points in the third quarter.

“We did everything very well, we executed very well, we played defense very well, and scored the ball very well as a team,” junior forward Wes Owens said.

The Indians were able to get this win while missing two of their key point guards Ethan Martin and Jordan Taylor.

Jordan Taylor is a member of the varsity boys basketball team.