The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Cheerleaders finish 9th at Sandburg

Varsity cheerleaders perform at competition.
Rori Locke

The Minooka girls varsity cheerleaders took their first performance on the mat at the Carl Sandburg Midwest Cheer Fest on Dec 3.

“The team performed with a lot of enthusiasm which helped their performance; there were some errors but they are ones we can fix at practice,” head coach Ashley Cook said.

Even with the errors that the team had, they placed ninth place.

“Overall the cheer performance this weekend was pretty good,” senior Jovanna Valenti said. “We had some mess ups and obviously we are going to be able to improve but I think we did pretty good for our first comp especially with us having new coaches and just feeling the floor.”

The cheerleaders are honest with themselves and knowing exactly what they all need to improve on for their next competition.

“The team needs to work on practicing how they perform, so it is easier at competitions. We need to clean up some little things in the routine too,” senior Delaney Reilly said.

Not only just improve on the physical skills of the performance but everything else that goes along with it.

“We could do better in our voices and overall performance like we could have bigger faces and be louder so that way the whole gym can hear us,” Valenti said.

The errors weren’t the only reason that they weren’t at their best at this competition. The team was all switched around at this competition due to many injuries and a cheerleader was brought up to the team just a week before competition.

“The practices leading up to competition, we have many girls who were trying their hardest to improve the team’s mentality. For example, Kylee White, senior, started a positive quote chain which developed into everyone trying hard,” Cook said.

The team all worked together, the mentality of the team was high for the competition as well as, all of them being there for each other.