Seniors give advice to freshmen

High school isn’t always what is portrayed in the movies. Sometimes it isn’t always fun and games, and other times there will be memories that will last a lifetime.

With this being said, freshman year can be a confusing time. It’s a culture shock from junior high, the work is much harder, and the friends a person had in junior high may have changed over the summer. Whatever the case may be, freshmen have no need to fear because the upperclassmen are here to help.

Despite the common misconception that colleges only look at grades from junior year, they also look at grades from all four years. Freshman year does matter. A lot of freshman do not know that going into the year, or they think college is too far in the future, but these four years fly by.

“Be prepared for class, and don’t only focus on your social life. Focus on your classes and future,” Sophia Camacho, senior, said.

A lot of seniors said similar things to Camacho’s statement.

“Don’t fool around this year! This year is what really sets you off for the next three years of high school. Study first and party later,” Andy Valles, senior, said.

Along with trying in classes, freshman should seek help when it is needed because it can go a long way.

“Don’t be afraid to ask questions or to ask for help if you don’t understand something. Asking questions during math helped me out a lot,” Lauren Grzywa, senior, said.

In addition, high school is a time to try new things. Even if someone didn’t do an activity in junior high, high school is a clean slate, and many clubs and sports will take people in with open arms.

“You should join clubs and participate in activities because school is more fun when you get involved,” Danielle Redmon, senior, said.

Not only are there activities to join, but MCHS has a wide range of sports to try.

“Do every single sport because sports are awesome. It might be hard and you might feel like you’re going to die, but it’s worth it,” Riley Thean, senior, said.

Also, freshmen need to remember it is important to try in school, but not to the point of excessive stress.

“I know that being in a completely new surrounding can be scary, but high school is so much fun. Don’t stress about every little thing, remember to have fun, and make new friends and memories as well,” Madison Evans, senior, said.

Above all, freshmen should remember to have common sense.

“Think before you say or do something you’ll regret. Just be smart,” Noah Hinds, senior, said.