The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Girls volleyball beats Romeoville in 3

Brandon Ritsos
Jalynn Skaggs celebrates after a point against Oswego on Sept. 28. Minooka beat Romeoville in three sets on Oct. 3.

A comeback win in three sets pushed the Minooka varsity girls volleyball team past Romeoville on Oct. 3.

“I think we struggled in the beginning, but then we got it together and worked on everything we talked about,” senior Ava Valentine said.

Minooka started off rough, but throughout the three sets against Romeoville, their communication to one another got better and allowed them to work better together.

“The energy was up and down, in the first set when we lost the energy was a little bit down, but we picked it up in the second and third set to win the game,” senior Makenna Petrovic said.

In the first set, Minooka lost by 11. But in the following sets it was a close — only winning by 5 points in the second set and 3 in the third set.

“I felt like it brought a lot of energy to our team,” Petrovic said.

When the players make kills or big plays on the court the energy levels increase and allow them to bring the best of them out.

“We love the energy on the court and from stands. You always need energy to keep your team motivated inside and out,” head coach Carrie Prosek said.

The energy within the team greatly impacts on how they play and the increased amount of energy allows them to comeback to win their conference game. 

“There was no standout as a individual,” Prosek said. “We played as a team, a family, and everybody gave their own little spotlight to it. You could not say there was not one person that stood out we played as a team and everybody put in full effort to beat this team.”

Prosek said the coaches and team fuels off of each other. 

“We need the fire of the community, the fans and the bench to make us who we are,” she said.