The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

NBA season preview

NBA season preview

The NBA season is started Oct. 24, and it’s looking interesting. Many stories are going on in the league that could impact the league for years to come.

First, my NBA Finals predictions. The league has so much talent in it right now, making it harder than ever to make it all the way to the Finals. 

For the Eastern Conference, there are many teams that could win.. One of them is the Boston Celtics. The Celtics have made at least the Eastern Conference Finals for the last three years and the Finals in 2022. They look to win their 18th championship and made some big moves this off-season to make that happen. 

They traded for Kristaps Porzingis and Jrue Holiday in big moves to make their offense and defense a lot better. My prediction to win the East though are the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks are right now the favorites to win the championship after trading for star point guard Damian Lillard. Now Lillard and Giannis have the pieces they each wanted, and they are in prime position to win the East and even a ring. 

For the West, there is only one team. The Denver Nuggets are the reigning NBA champions and they are running it back with mostly its same squad. They did lose a big piece in Bruce Brown when he went to the Pacers. The Nuggets though are still my favorites to win the west. 

The Finals are going to be big this year. With my predictions Milwaukee and Denver would meet up in a clash of big men. Giannis and Jokic are both considered the best players in their positions and they have been put in head to heads for years with both of them winning multiple MVPs back to back from each other. Also both of them have one ring each so this showdown would show who really is the best player in the league. I believe the Bucks will win the championship in seven games. 

This would be a hard fought series with both teams having to go deep in their bags to even have a chance at winning. The Finals MVP winning his second ring is going to be Giannis Antetokounmpo. This would also mean Damian Lillard finally gets his sought after first ring elevating him so much higher then if he didn’t have a ring.

There are many fun players to watch this season. The first one is obviously Anthony Edwards. What he was doing with the USA team was electric and knowing he is going to improve on that is going to be so fun. 

Second is the duo of Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic. They are always so much fun to watch and now that they have an even bigger target on their backs as reigning champs they will go even crazier. Third is rookie Victor Wembenyama. He is a 7 ‘5″ point guard through center. The fact he can play all positions on court makes him so versatile and that he is 7 ‘5 makes him do things other centers couldn’t even think of doing.

Lastly we have to talk about Zion. Zion has always been a problem leading the Pelicans to the 1st place in the conference when he is healthy. That’s the thing though, when he is healthy. If Zion played all 82 games the league truly wouldn’t be ready for that.