The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Boys basketball beats Plainfield Central in WJOL Tournament

Senior+Jordan+Taylor+brings+the+ball+up+the+court+during+an+early+season+scrimmage.+
Brandon Ritsos
Senior Jordan Taylor brings the ball up the court during an early season scrimmage.

“We are learning how to win, which takes time. So we’re going to celebrate each and every victory we have throughout the season,” said head boys basketball coach Brett Hespell.

On Nov. 25, Minooka got their first win of the season, and Hespell got his first win with this team. 

Minooka started the year out with losses against Joliet Central, Bradley-Bourbonnais, and Providence in the WJOL Thanksgiving Tournament. 

But on Saturday they got the first win against Plainfield Central making them 1-3. 

Minooka beat Plainfield Central 46-44 in overtime. A key player from this game was junior center Wes Owens with 10 points

“I felt really good playing against Plainfield Central,” Owens said. “They were a decent team and going into the game I felt very confident.”

Junior forward DJ Hampton  also had with 8 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Sophomore forward Zane Caves contributed with 8 points and 3 steals. 

During the game, Minooka had an early lead 14-2 at the end of the first quarter with their defense being key..

After the first quarter it was a big battle between both teams. Plainfield Central scored 14 in the 2nd, and Minooka only scored 2, making the score 16-16 at the end of the first half. 

After halftime, Minooka and Plainfield Central really kept the game neck and neck. At the end of the fourth quarter, the game was tied 36-36 to go into overtime.

Minooka won the defensive battle in regulation with 10 steals, 28 rebounds, and 3 blocks. They also had a higher field goal percentage of 46 percent. 

During overtime it was a close game with only 4 minutes to play.

Senior point guard Jordan Taylor said he was “a little scared during the overtime against Plainfield Central, but was very confident my team can go and execute to get the win.” 

Taylor passed to Owens for the game-winning layup, and Minooka won 46-44.

Brendyn Jacobs is a manager for the Minooka varsity boys basketball team.