The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Students celebrate variety of holiday traditions

Brigadeiros are a favorite holiday food of freshman Joshua Vargas. They are chocolate dessert with origins in Brazil.

Traditions happen every year. Most of them happen during the winter time. These traditions are passed down from generation to generation. 

“My family hides a pickle in the tree and whoever finds it gets to open the first gifts,” said sophomore Aubry Smith.

Hiding a pickle in a tree originated in Germany. One’s ancestry can play a role in what traditions a family participates in. 

“We go outside during the night and sing Polish songs to a baby Jesus figure in the yard,” said freshman Joseph Ferreti-Raucci. “Actually it’s really bad singing, and it’s kind of creepy because I don’t know Polish.”

Some traditions require a frosty five but not knowing a second language.

“My family likes to go see Christmas lights in the neighborhood,” said freshman Sophia Vallejo, “We also go take a Christmas picture.”

The holidays are a way to spend time with friends and family.

“Every Christmas Eve my family sings the ‘12 Days of Christmas’, we dress up as our parts in the song,” said freshman Brooke Daurer. “My little cousin wanted to be the Christmas tree but he wasn’t tall enough so we had to hold the top of the tree up for him.”

At gatherings, most of the time there is going to be food.

“We go to a Brazilian party because my mom is from Brazil,” said freshman Joshua Vargas. “At the party there is this little dessert the people at my church make called brigadeiro, which is one of my favorites.”

Brigadeiro is a chocolate dessert that looks like a truffle. Many students enjoy tasty treats around the holidays. Sophomore Wesley Evans said his Grandma makes coffee cake for his family on Christmas Eve.

Left to Right 

The first is a picture of brigadeiros which are freshman Joshua Vargas favorite food. The second is a picture of Clarks Griswold house in the movie Christmas Vacation. Freshman Sophia Vallejo likes to go and see Christmas lights. The third is a pickle ornament that sophomore Aubry Smith hides in the Christmas tree.