Curtain opens on fall play tonight

Seniors Shelby Weather and Nate Garner perform a scene for the fall play Almost, Maine.  The first performance is Nov. 4.

Andreanna Haritopoulos

Seniors Shelby Weather and Nate Garner perform a scene for the fall play Almost, Maine. The first performance is Nov. 4.

Love is war. Love is blind. Love triumphs all.

It’s the most common theme present in countless literary works. The moment in a movie when the main characters finally kiss. The very feeling that defines us all. And now, love will be the primary topic in MCHS’s very own theater.

On Friday, Nov. 4 and Saturday, Nov. 5, critically acclaimed play, Almost, Maine, will be performed by a student cast in the Central campus PAC beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets will be sold prior to the show on showtix4u.com, as well as at the door; Entrance fees remain the same as always, $10 per adult, $8 per student/senior.

The show takes place in a hypothetical town not even found on the world map, called Almost, Maine. It centers around nine different stories of love and loss, of passion and infatuation, of joyful moments and of times of sorrow. The play Almost, Maine aims to demonstrate not only the ups of having an intimate relationship with another, but also the downs that turn life into a daily struggle.

“My favorite scene, other than my own obviously, is definitely ‘This Hurts,’ and you should get ready to laugh your head off with that little love tale,” Aiden Cordon, sophomore and Chad in ‘They Fell,’ said.

Each scene of the show includes the pair under love’s circumstances, as well as one addition to a scene in the first act, totaling 19 cast members in all. Several students are also involved as members of the sound crew, lights crew, stage crew, props crew, and hair and makeup crew. Along with attending rehearsals four days a week, fall play also extends through the weekends with set construction throughout the day on Saturdays.

“At first I had a little trouble figuring out what I was supposed to do, but then once my OCD in organization kicked in, everything fell into place,” Angela Svehla, junior in props crew, said.

This year’s fall play has been coordinated by Ms. Cristina Duris, a new member of the directing staff of the MCHS theater, but no stranger to the stage herself. Duris was involved in fall play, children’s theater, and musical during her high school career at MCHS, and continued on to receive a degree in acting at ISU. Almost, Maine will be her first-ever production in which she has directed in her professional career, fresh out of college.

“I had a few moments where I got nervous about whether the show would turn out or not, as any director would. But I am extremely pleased with the results,” Duris said.

The play finishes off with all of the couples gathering in the middle of the stage, gazing up into the sky at the Northern Lights Show as snow falls to the ground. The events that take place on that Friday night in Almost will change the course of not only the actors’ characters’ love lives, but possibly yours as well, forever.

Whether you are searching for a heartwarming treat to see with your own sweetheart, a girls’ night out that will surely bring some laughs, or even a way to escape your own love life and enter into another’s, or several others’, Almost, Maine will certainly bring it to the PAC.