Virtual learning or snow days?

Although most students look forward to snow days like the one on Nov. 26, they tend to forget that they most likely have to make that day up at the end of the year. This means extra days of school during the summer. Bethany Christian Schools, located in Goshen, Ind., decided to take a different approach to the traditional snow day.

Although the students and staff were not able to get to school due to the ice and snow, that didn’t stop them from learning that day.

They had a “virtual learning day” that was set by the Indiana Department of Education. The students were given some kind of electronic device, and that is how they did their assignments, participated in online discussions and received help from the teacher. Then, the staff and students didn’t have to make that day up at the end of the year.

So, how would the students and staff at MCHS feel about getting rid of snow days and doing virtual learning days instead?

Mr. Mark Brown, social studies, says he wants to keep snow days for the fun it brings.

“If we get rid of snow days, how can anyone go sledding at Four Seasons Park? We would be learning instead of sledding and that is not fun,” Brown said.

Virtual learning is a creative way of learning, but do you get the same impact of having a teacher right in front of you?

Mr. Ron Kiesewetter, principal thinks it is a good idea, but there is no way you could replace having a teacher right there.

“Virtual learning is definitely a creative way to learn but I don’t think you could substitute the teacher being there through electronics,” Kiesewetter said.

Some students want snow days to stay. They enjoy sleeping in and not having to worry about school days. Other students, on the other hand, think getting rid of snow days is a great idea.

“I would much rather learn from home with virtual learning than make it up during a day in June when I’m supposed to be on summer vacation,” MaKayla Calvert, sophomore, said.

Everyday people become more dependent on the internet, and new discoveries come out.

This new way of learning could be the start of a whole new generation of getting school work done on a snow day.

This article originally appeared in Dec. 3, 2018, print issue of the Peace Pipe Chatter