The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Football drops close one to Yorkville

Quarterback+Nate+Maul+hands+off+the+ball+to+Joey+Partridge+on+Sept.+29+against+Yorkville.++Yorkville+won+the+game+17-13.+
Rori Locke
Quarterback Nate Maul hands off the ball to Joey Partridge on Sept. 29 against Yorkville. Yorkville won the game 17-13.

It was a battle – but not a clean one – on both sides of the ball.  

Minooka went against Yorkville in a close matchup on Sept. 29. Yorkville ended up coming up with the win on their Homecoming weekend.

Minooka had many mistakes on both offense and defense throughout the game. Offense was slow and did not end up moving the ball as they should have. Defense held up most of the game, then struggled at the end.

“We had many errors and mental mistakes that should have not happened,” Ty Couch, junior wide receiver said.

It was 3-0 Yorkville early in the first quarter when Minooka drove up the field. Quarterback Nate Maul had a 1-yard run to score with 7:09 left in the first quarter.  Minooka had a 7-3 lead. 

At the start of the second quarter, Yorkville opened up with a touchdown to lead 10-7.

With 4:30 in the first half, a running back from Yorkville scored on a 38-yard run to extend the lead to 17-7.  Minooka’s defense had multiple stops, leaving it up to the offense.

“I especially think I didn’t do my job all game, especially other players on defense feel the same way,” Zach Puracchio, junior defensive lineman said.

It came down to the wire as Couch received a pass from Maul for a touchdown making it one possession game. 

Late in the fourth quarter on the last play, intended wide receiver Donovan Anderson appeared to take an early hit, ending the game.

“This was not overall a better game,” Minooka head coach Matt Harding said. “We need to prepare this upcoming week for a key matchup against Plainfield North.”

Ilan Salas is a fullback on the varsity football team.