The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Girls golf finishes 2nd at Conference

The+girls+golf+team+is+led+by+head+coach+Nick+Barello+and+assistant+coach+Matt+Marino.+
VIP
The girls golf team is led by head coach Nick Barello and assistant coach Matt Marino.

The varsity girls golf SPC Meet Oct. 20  was a challenging one. With around 100 girls competing against each other, this conference was a rough fight. 

Yet two Minooka girls prevailed against the odds. Lauren McPhillips-Newcomb and Leona Trevino both placed in the top 5. 

Head coach Nick Barello said as a whole his girls had a great performance. McPhillips-Newcomb especially, as she was just shy of the school’s record, hitting a 77, one off of the 76 par record. 

Barello also said that Trevino was able to secure a position in 5th after a rough start. 

Likewise, McPhillips-Newcomb knew she did well, having a tournament personal record which led to a nice surprise of being named Athlete of the Week. 

McPhillips-Newcomb had put in work to get to this point, stating “being consistent and not making little mistakes” was what led her to the win despite the large number of pars.

Trevino had a rough start, having to mentally overcome the 5th hole in order to have her comeback. She used what her coach taught her and went back to the basics to come out above most of the competition.

Trevino enjoyed the meet. 

“It was a great experience,” she said, and the challenge is what made it fun.

All in all, the girls and Barello were Minooka proud of the work they put in and the places they achieved.