The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Nook News

Nook News

Nook News

Boys wrestling picks up win in opening quad meet

The+boys+wrestling+teams+head+coach+is+Mike+Kimberlin.+
VIP
The boys wrestling team’s head coach is Mike Kimberlin.

Minooka hosted a wrestling dual meet at home against Mt. Carmel, Lockport, and Belleville on Nov. 25. Mt. Carmel ended up with the top spot coming in first place and easily the best team there.

Minooka  overall was happy on how they performed over the weekend and how they performed against the top teams.  Minooka beat Belleville West 32-25, but lost to Lockport 48-19 and Mt. Carmel 66-12. 

“I personally feel the whole team wrestled hard against the top teams in the state making it very competitive,” said junior Justin Jones.

The Minooka wrestling team were one of the competitive teams wrestling and surprised many teams how they opened their season.

“I think some guys were focused on winning more how they wrestled, some guys gave too much respect to the singlet,” said assistant coach Anthony Rink.

Freshman Kaden Meyer (157 pounds) had two wins on the day, pinning both Cameron Wilson of Belleville West and Edward Rasp of Lockport. 

Also having wins against Belleville West were AJ Frescura (165 pounds), Cash Marlow (132 pounds), Tommy McClimon (144 pounds), Ben Cyrkiel (150 pounds). 

Wins against Lockport included Noah Avina (120 pounds), Frescura, and Santino Capodice (190 pounds).

The team overall feel they could have done much better, but overall very happy with what they came out with for the first meet of the season.

“We did pretty good against the top teams like Lockport, and I’m happy with how I performed against them,” said junior Chase Musser.

Musser lost a close decision to Belleville West 8-6.